7.07.2008





I am nestled in a field of grass taller than me under the generous shade of a brilliant strong tree on the bank of the Humber river. I can see my reflection in the screen ... relaxed with a collage of leaves and sky behind me. Sarah is at my side with a chilled bottle of Riesling between us. Damien Rice is singing to us and is backed up by birds hidden in the forest. The sun is hot and cooking the smells out of the wild flowers and trees. The butterflies are dancing duets for us and the mosquitoes are letting us know that life is flowing through us and is desirable (after radiation they would not come within a foot of me). Sarah has scaled herself down the bank into the water and is playing with the dragon flies. I said it looked like they were playing tag and she said “is that what you call it ... I think they are mating ... but maybe it is foreplay honey.” We are at the McMichael gallery in Kleinberg and there is a maze of trails around the gallery. The group of seven’s work was amazing and it is clear how such beauty and inspiration came from this land. This week with Sarah has been beyond magical and at the same time left me so unsettled that tears were a given. How do you leave souls that make you feel like this to start all over? And in my same heart ... how does a city that does not have those souls feel okay and even great at times? And why does that feel like I am cheating on the love of my life to say that?
NYC – how do I even begin to paint that adventure in a way that makes you feel like you where there. Maybe that is how.
It was filled with laughter, and open mouths, and feelings of endless possibilities. It was for sure the best way to celebrate me entering the 30th year of my life.

No comments:

My photo
I am doing my best to find the good things in my life and cherish them. I love deeply. I laugh hard (so hard I sometimes snort). I still dream and believe that dreams are meant to be followed. I try to depend on God. I have so much to learn. I hope.

Blog Archive